We need a little sunshine in mind, body, spirit and business. Being an eternal optimist I can always find that sunshine and blue skies and today I'm sharing a little.
There is only so much doom and gloom one person can take before it starts affecting you to the core. Even for me - the eternal optimist, I catch myself sometimes with a little doubt in my optimism. But then I see something, or read something that returns me to the land of forever optimistic. As they say, this too will pass!
One thing that has always helped me in my optimism is having a list of motivational quotes to refer to at any given time to keep me on the positive track and living my life with the 'power of positivity'. I have decided to share my list with you here:
The Positivity List:
- “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” —Brian Buffini
- You have to be before you can do, and do before you can have. Zig Ziglar
- If the grass looks greener somewhere else, then it's time to water your own grass.
- It's not the hours you put in, but what you put in the hours.
- Commitment and creativity cannot be captured and handcuffed. Inspiration cannot be jailed. The heart cannot be contained.
- You can only control 2 things in life: Your ATTITUDE and Your ACTIONS.
- Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
- Don't talk, just act. Don't say, just show. Don't promise, just prove.
- Knowledge is having the right answer. Intelligence is knowing which question to ask.
- If you try, you risk failure. If you don't, you ensure it.
- It's never too late to start over. If you weren't happy with yesterday, try something different today. Don't stay stuck. Do better.
- So be afraid! And then do it anyway!
- You have 3 choices in life: Give up, give in or give it all you've got!
- Do it to do it, not to have done it.
- Happiness is not the absence of problems; it is the ability to deal with them. - Steve Maraboli
- The richest people in the world look for and build networks, everyone else looks for work.
- Keep going. You're almost there.
- When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
- We should not expect from others what we cannot do ourselves
- Learn to say 'No' as often as 'Yes'.
- Only do the things that only you can do.
- Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who kept on trying when there seemed to be no help at all.
- Lose the excuses, you'll find the results
- If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.
- The best is yet to come.
- When one door closes, another one opens. OR, you can open the closed door. That's how doors work.
- The expedient thing and the right thing are seldom the same thing.
- Accept what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be.
- Do not let what you don't have, prevent you from using what you do have.
- Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy.
- Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- You can't control what happens to you, but you can control how you react to the things that are out of your control.
- Success doesn't just come and find you, you have to go out and get it.
- Stop worrying about what can go wrong, and get excited about what can go right.
- It's not about being the best. It's about being better than you were yesterday.
- Be who you are, not who the world wants you to be.
- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
- Even when you don't know how, believe that you will.
- Focus on being productive instead of being busy.
- Either you run the day, or the day runs you.
- There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn't jump a puddle for you.
- You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. You get to choose.
- The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones
- The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude.
- If you don't like the conversation, change what's being said.
- Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.
- Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit.
- One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day for the better.
- Success isn't just about what you accomplish in your life. It is also about what you inspire OTHERs to do.
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. ~ Winston Churchill
- I will not stress myself out about things I cannot control or change.
- Turn your can'ts into cans and your dreams into plans.
- If you don't have a dream, there is no way to make one come true.
- If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you.
- If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
- "You were created to make a difference and there's a difference in this world that only you can make."- Billy Cox
- Getting knocked down in life is a given. Getting up and moving forward is a choice." -Zig Ziglar
- Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.
- Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles. It takes away today's peace.
- No matter how hard yesterday was, today is a fresh opportunity to make it better.
- "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps."
- When you focus on problems you will have more problems. When you focus on possibilities, you will have more opportunities.
- Your life doesn't get better by chance, it gets better by change.
- The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.
- “Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs.” – Henry Ford
- “Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.” – Vincent Van Gogh
- Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still. – Chinese Proverb
- It always seems impossible until it is done. ~Nelson Mandela
- Great people do things before they're ready.
- The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” ~ Oscar Wilde
- Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” – Lyndon B. Johnson
- Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” – Winston Churchill
- When things go wrong, don’t go with them.” – Elvis Presley
- “Yes We Can!” – Barack Obama
- Positive Anything Is Better Than Negative Nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Hope is a waking dream.”- Aristotle
- “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen. ~ Michael Jordan
Beyond a list of motivational quotes, these days I am in awe at the innovation, creativity and truly caring people in the local community and in business. Businesses that have been deemed non-essential throughout the covid-19 crisis have been finding unique ways of still earning an income, albeit not to the level they were once accustomed to. You can bet on a host of new businesses being created and new product offerings as well with entrepreneurs having to quickly 'think outside the box'.
A week or so ago, I had to smile at an 8-year-old's efforts to help during the pandemic and even more happy that CTV News covered the story. We definitely need more inspiration and feel good stories on the news. Anyway, this little boy wanted to help and what he did was so simple.
He created a sign with sheets of paper on it and posted it at the edge of his lawn for those out for a walk to see. Basically, the sign said -- If you need anything and can't get out to get it, write it on the sheet on the left and how to reach you. If you can help someone on the left, please do so and then mark it done. Simple. I'm not sure if anyone used it or not, but the process to come up with the idea and implement it so quickly -- well, an entrepreneur in the making!
Below are some of my favourite ideas that have sprung up -- and kudos to the businesses, people and organizations for their brilliance.
Talent 2 Design
This lady has already gone through a lifetime of trauma prior to the pandemic. She is truly an inspiration in overcoming so much, in starting her bakery, participating in the community wherever she can. She makes the most wonderful cakes and cookies and has always had unique offerings like - cake/cookie baking birthday parties and more. With her store being closed due to the pandemic, she created pre-made cookie kits available for pick-up and delivery. A great way to keep children entertained and give them a treat as well. Find her on facebook. Kudos Lisa!
Dan Giancola (you may recognize his name from the CFL) operates BTO Performance Fitness Centre - also faced with closure due to Covid-19, Dan quickly put together a daily fitness series broadcast live on facebook to keep his clients exercising and staying with the program. I'm amazed how quickly businesses are adapting technology to move forward and adapt! The Standard recently did an article on local gyms going online -- amazing!
With the baseball season (all sports for that matter) suspended until further notice, the Welland Jackfash have come up with some innovative ways to keep their fans engaged. My favourite was a post giving readers a black and white drawing of their jackfish to print and colour - again, keeping kids entertained, while drawing attention to the brand.. Welland Jackfish on Facebook
Another of my favourites is a post from M.T. Bellies Restaurant. The restaurant is closed due to the coronavirus regulations, however John and his team have been providing take out orders from a select menu for those looking not to cook. This week they introduced a new gift card program to help their team, who are now for the most part temporarily unemployed. Basically -- buy the gift card now - 50% of the value is being donated to the M.T. Bellies staff (the Clark family kicked off the campaign with $10,000), and 50% to the restaurant. You redeem 100% of the value you purchased toward your next meal at M.T. Bellies when they reopen! Kudos John!
Check back to this post, I will continue adding unique and interesting references to businesses periodically as we all progress through this crisis.
We are all in this together. Support local!